This chapter provides information for multi-agency practitioners about the duty the local authority has in protecting property and pets of adults who are being cared for away from their own home.


Mental Capacity


Chapter 10, Care and Support Planning, Care and Support Statutory Guidance (Department of Health and Social Care) 

Good Practice Guides (RSPCA)

Guidance on Dog Control and Welfare for Police and Local Authorities

Code of Practice for the Welfare of Dogs (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) 

Code of Practice for the Welfare of Cats (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

Code of Practice for the Welfare of Privately Kept Non-Human Primates (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) 

July 2019: This chapter was amended to include links to good practice from the RSPCA and HM Government codes of practice, as above.

The local authority must take all reasonable steps to protect the movable property of an adult with care and support needs who is being cared for away from home, in a hospital or in accommodation such as a care home, and who cannot arrange to protect their property themselves; this could include their pets as well as their personal property (for example, private possessions and furniture). The local authority must act where it believes that if it does not take action there is a risk of movable property being lost or damaged.

Protecting property may include arranging for pets to be looked after when securing premises for someone who is having their care and support needs provided away from home in a care home or hospital, and who has not been able to make other arrangements for the care of their home or pets.
In order to protect movable property in these circumstances the local authority may enter the property, at reasonable times, with the adult’s consent, ideally in writing; but reasonable prior notice to enter should be given.

If the adult lacks the capacity to give consent to the local authority entering the property, consent should be sought from a person authorised under the Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA) to give consent on the adult’s behalf. This might be:

If the adult in question lacks capacity and no other person has been authorised to act on their behalf, the local authority must act in the best interests of the adult (see Mental Capacity).

If a third party tries to stop an authorised entry into the home they will be committing an offence, unless they can give a good reason for why they are obstructing the local authority in protecting the adult’s property. Committing such an offence could, on conviction by a Magistrates’ Court, lead to the person being fined. If a local authority intends to enter a home then it must give written authorisation to an officer of the council and that person must be able to produce it if asked for.

The local authority has no power to apply for a warrant to carry out their duties to protect property. If the Court decides the obstruction is reasonable then the local authority would have no power to force entry.

This duty on the local authority lasts until the adult in question returns home or makes their own arrangements for the protection of property or until there is no other danger of loss or damage to property; whichever happens first. Often a one off event is required such as the re-homing of pets or ensuring that the property is secured.

If costs are incurred or if there are ongoing costs the local authority can recover any reasonable expenses they incur in protecting property under this duty from the adult whose property they are protecting.

Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!