This chapter outlines the importance of close working between children and adult practitioners. Practitioners working with adults who are concerned about a child have a duty to report their concerns.


South Tyneside Safeguarding Children Procedures

1. Introduction

Although the South Tyneside Safeguarding Adults Board and Safeguarding Children Partnership have has statutory duties and responsibilities as a result of different legislation (Care Act 2014; Children Act 1989, Children Act 2004, Children and Social Work Act 2017), there are significant overlaps in the processes they use, and the organisations and professionals which support the adults and children’s safeguarding partnerships to deliver their objectives.

Such areas of common work include young people transitioning between children’s and adult services (see Transition to Adult Care and Support chapter), domestic abuse (see Domestic Abuse chapter), and working with complex families. These provide potential for joint working between children’s and adults practitioners and senior managers. It is important therefore that any joint working practices or opportunities for joint working and sharing of information are explored. This offers opportunities to develop direct formal links between members who sit on the Safeguarding Adults Board and Safeguarding Children Partnership.

2. Responsibilities to Safeguard Children

See Working Together to Safeguard Children (Department for Education)

If a professional working with an adult becomes aware a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm, they have a duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of the child. All staff must be aware that where there is a concern that an adult experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect and there are children in the same household, the children too could be at risk.

As well as safeguarding and child protection issues, agencies or professionals who work with adults can also have a key role in referring a child for early help which involves relevant services providing support as soon as a problem emerges at any point in a child’s life.

In such instances staff should make reference to the South Tyneside Safeguarding Children Procedures  and / or contact South Tyneside Children’s Social Care (see Local Contacts).

Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!